Attendance and Absence
All parents/carers have a legal responsibility for their son or daughters education.
Section 30 of The Education (Scotland) Act 1980 requires parents to ensure that their children attend school regularly.
Regulation 7 of The Education (School and Placing Information) (Scotland) Amendment etc Regulations 1993 requires each childs absence from school to be recorded in the school register as authorised (e.g. approved by the local authority) or unauthorised (e.g. unexplained by the parent/carer (truancy) or excluded from school).
Please note that it is not a legal right in Scotland for parents/carers to allow pupils to take time off school for holidays during term.
The school has the ability to send text messages to advise parents/carers that their son/daughter is absent from school – parents/carers are requested by the message to contact the school.
Any absence notes, sickness notes or prearranged appointments should be handed into the school office, clearly marked with pupils name and year/ house group.
School Telephone Information Line
Instructions for Use:
1. Dial 0870 054 9999 (Calls to this number will be charged at 2p per minute service charge plus your call provider’s access charge)
2. Milne’s High Schools PIN Number: 031060
3. You will get a confirmation message: “Selected Milne’s High School”
You will then enter a menu system:
- Press 1 to hear severe weather information
- Press 2 to leave a non-urgent message
- Press 3 to hear general school information
- Press 4 to enter a different school PIN number
- Press # to end call
Further advice is issued in a separate letter to parents available from the school office or website.